Latest News

Griffiths Farrans JV welcomes two T Level placement students to Bristol Airport site


Griffiths Farrans JV has created two T Level placement positions at its transformational public transport project at Bristol Airport, as part of its ongoing commitment to supporting the next generation of talent in construction and civil engineering.

Ned Sturdy and Kimberly Chikonobaya joined the team in April while studying T-Level Construction: Design, Surveying, and Planning.

T Levels are a new qualification for students aged 16 to 19 in England who have finished their GCSEs.

Each T Level is equivalent to 3 A levels and helps young people develop the knowledge, attitude and practical skills to thrive in the workplace. T Level students spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning essential skills. The other 20% is a meaningful industry placement, where they put these skills into action.

Griffiths Farrans JV placements students will play a hands on role in delivering a significantly enlarged public transport interchange at Bristol Airport with an improved internal road system and an additional multi-storey car park providing customer enhancements such as waiting rooms and rest facilities.

The project forms part of Bristol Airport’s overall multi-million-pound transformational development plan enabling 12 million passengers a year to use the Airport.

Richard Tidmarsh, Infrastructure Director, Griffiths Farrans JV, said:

“We are delighted to welcome our new placement students to site and look forward to giving them a feel for what real-life work in this industry is like. It’s a very rewarding sector to be involved in and the project is one which will have a major positive impact on the lives of so many people in their own city. We want to encourage that sense of ownership and pride in the work they will be doing during this year. With T-Levels being a newly launched qualification, we understand that there are challenges finding suitable industry placements. We are pleased to be able to work with these young people to provide them with these exciting opportunities.”

Glenn Gilmore, Regional Director, Griffiths Farrans JV, said:

“One of the areas that we are most passionate about is social value and leaving a positive, lasting legacy. Investing in the next generation of construction and civil engineering talent ensures that we are contributing to the long-term sustainability of the industry while also providing meaningful opportunities to local students. Our placement positions are stepping stones from which to launch fulfilling careers in this field. We are committed to removing any barriers there may be to securing a career in civil engineering and construction, while also creating an inclusive culture and diverse pipeline of talent. We wish all of our placement students a successful year of learning.”

Andrew Goodenough, Infrastructure Director, Bristol Airport said: “We are delighted to be supporting Griffiths Farrans JV in the placement of both T Level students. The placement provides learning in a workplace environment which is invaluable for their future careers. We are committed in supporting and developing young people and Bristol Airport has the range of opportunities available now and in the future.”