Life as a Civil Engineer with Farrans
Farrans is a great place to begin your career as one of our Graduate or Placement Civil Engineers. Luis Alves is a Site Agent in our civil engineering division. He joined in 2015 as a graduate and since then has developed his skills and progressed his career.
What is your role?
I am currently a Site Agent in Civils Operations based in Scotland. However I started my career with Farrans as a graduate working on Kilgallioch Windfarm.
What experience have you had with the company so far?
I joined Farrans as a graduate on Kilgallioch Windfarm where my primary role was an Environmental Site Engineer. After gaining 6 months experience managing and supervising the environmental aspects of the project, I transitioned to a traditional Site Engineer role where I was exposed to the technically challenging engineering elements of the project. This involved setting out, surveying and managing/supervising the construction of turbine bases and access roads.
After 18 months on Kilgallioch I moved to a marine Infrastructure project as a Site Engineer. I progressed up the ladder to Senior Engineer and then Site Agent.
I am currently undertaking the role of Site Agent on the second phase of the project which has a contract value of £11.5m.
Why would you recommend Farrans as an employer to other people?
I would recommend Farrans as an employer as they have:
- Wide range of training opportunities and commitments to personal development
- Good people within the company
- Good reputation in the industry
- Good range of experience in civils projects
- Regarded as a Tier 1 contractor
- Strong company views on mental health and a range of support available
- Other company health benefits such as Healthshield, BUPA and free flu jabs
Have you had training and development opportunities?
Yes, during my time at Farrans I have undertaken a range of training which has helped me succeed in developing my professional skills and career goals. My training has included:
- Farrans Foundation Graduate Programme
- Farrans Advanced Professional Qualification Programme
- Various site level training including the likes of; TWC, AP61, SMSTS, Mental Health First Aid, First Aid
Find out more about why your #FuturesAtFarrans by visiting: https://www.farrans.com/graduates/