Arecleoch Windfarm, for Scottish Power Renewables, is a 60-turbine development capable of generating up to 120MW and is Scotland’s fourth largest onshore windfarm.
Scottish Power Renewables
The site covers an area of approximately 39km2 to the south-west of Barrhill, located within forestry areas around the highest local point of Strawarren Fell. The windfarm comprises 60 wind turbine generators capable of generating an output of up to 120MW and providing electricity for thousands of homes.
Farrans excavated 600,00m3 of rock from 9 on-site quarries, constructed over 65km of road and oversaw the installation of over 45km of HV cable.
Services & Expertise
As part of the scheme, Farrans are constructed a full infrastructure package comprising:
- Civil and electrical design
- Turbine base construction
- Installation of electrical infrastructure
- Forestry felling and timber harvesting
- Access road construction and public road re-alignment
- Construction of a new railway bridge crossing
- Stone extraction and borrow pit operation