The M1/M2 Westlink or “DBF01” project comprised the design and construction of one of the highest profile roads project ever undertaken in Northern Ireland.
Highway Management Group
This contract involves the 30 year operation and maintenance of the M1, M2, M3, M5, M22 and A12 Westlink (total length 60km), including all structures.
Key challenges included:
- Extensive temporary traffic management arrangements to ensure two lanes of traffic were maintained in both directions at all times during construction works.
- Extensive temporary works to facilitate the construction of underpasses and overbridges within the confines of the existing ‘live’ carriageway, residential and city centre boundaries. Areas of soft ground and high rock levels compounded the temporary works challenges.
Services & Expertise
The scope of the M1/Westlink (A12) section included:
- Widening of 4.5km of the M1 and A12 Westlink to 3no lanes in each direction and demolition and reconstruction of Stockman’s Lane Bridge to facilitate widening of the motorway.
- Provision of grade-separated junctions at Broadway and Grosvenor Road with the construction underpasses using secant piled walls, insitu roof slab and propping slab.
- Substantial services diversions including LV / MV / HV electricity cables, gas mains, watermains, gravity sewers and pump mains, NTL property, BT networks, CCTV facilities and motorway communication networks.
- Procurement of diversions were negotiated by the contractor under the NIRAUC agreement.
- Replacement of existing pedestrian footbridge over Westlink at Roden Street.
The scope of the M2 upgrade section included:
- Widening of the M2 to 3no lanes in each direction including full width carriageway lowering and pavement inlay.
- Demolition and reconstruction of 3no structures carrying traffic over the motorway to facilitate road widening.
- Pier and parapet upstand strengthening of a bridge over the M2.
- Parapet upgrade and strengthening to 5no bridges over rail, motorway and side roads.
- Erection of 5km of central reserve concrete step barrier over rail, motorway and side roads.